courtesy of: The Morning News
by: Rosalie Klein
Foundation Alzheimer Aruba (F.A.A.) announced they will be observing their tenth year of awareness raising events beginning with a commemorative Mass at the Fatima Church in Dakota on Sunday, September 16 at 6:00 PM. The week will be filled with a number of informative events for those living with Alzheimer’s, their loved ones, and professional caregivers. This year’s theme is “Stand up Against Stigma.”
Teal Ribbon Week events will end on Saturday, September 22, with the traditional 5K Memory Walk, this year with Zumba, commencing at 5:00 PM from the parking lot of the Guillermo Trinidad Stadium in Dakota. Registration for the walk begins at 4:00. Registration fee is 5 Aruban florins per person, which entitles entrants to a tee shirt, fruit, refreshments and tickets for the great prizes from the annual raffle. Walkers are invited to be creative and form teams and groups.
F.A.A. will also be conducting programs on “Coping with a Loved One with Alzheimer’s Related Disorders”. A four day workshop on: Art Therapies for Individuals with Alzheimer’s,: with visiting lecturers Professor Dr. Robert Winter from North Carolina, and Professor Dr. Victor Fuenmayor from Venezuela, is scheduled from October 4-7, at the Holiday Inn.
Art therapies “have proven to be a very effective tool in understanding and communicating with those afflicted with Alzheimer’s. They provide new ways to communicate, improved concentration, better behavior, closer relationships, increase in freedom and spontaneity, calming of agitation, relief of isolation, and improved communication.” Those attending the workshop will learn how to use the creative process of making art to improve a person’s physical, mental, and emotional well-being.
“When Words Have Lost Their Meaning: The Person with Alzheimer’s Communicate through Art“. Is one of the workshops, “because though a person gradually loses the ability to express her/his self with words, other parts of their brain that deal with colors and body language can still be used to express their emotions and thoughts in a non-verbal way.”
- Four (4) days Workshops Fee: US $200,- (AWG. 350,-), including Sunday’s experiential workshop with caretakers. Sunday session is FREE for Caretakers of the participants. (Please register your caretaker: limited places available)
- Fee Includes: Tuition, Materials and Certificate. Tea/Coffee, Pastries.
- Book early, as therei limited placed available (Max. 40) Fundacion Alzheimer Aruba (F.A.A.) reserves the right to retain 50% of the fee, in case of cancellations after September 30th, 2012.
- Cancellation prior to September 30th will incur A $30 (52 Florins) administrative handling charge.
- Participants should wear comfortable, appropriate clothing.
- Venue of the workshops: Holiday Inn Resort Aruba, J.E. Irausquin Blvd 230
- Versions of materials in English, Spanish and Papiamento will be available at all workshops.
For more information and registration for workshops or the Memory Walk, contact F.A.A. President, Melva Croes-Yanez, at their offices on the Avenida Milo Croes 29 SUITE-C, telephone 582-1684, Email: email@example.com, or visit their website: www.alzheimer-aruba.org